With this quick guide, you can easily replace the finicky factory Maverick X3 door straps with easy-to-use Agency Power aluminum latches. Only basic tools are required to get this job done.
Estimated Install Time
15-30 Minutes Per Door
- Right Latch Arm Bracket
- Right Handle Bracket
- Left Latch Arm Bracket
- Left Handle Bracket
- (2x) M6x1.0 Button Head Hex Screws
- (6x) M5x0.8 Button Head Hex Screws
- T30 Torx
- 4mm Allen / Hex Key
- 5mm Allen / Hex Key
- 3/16″ Drill Bit or Equivalent
- Power Drill
- Vice Grips or Pliers
- 8mm Socket and Ratchet (X3 Max Only)
1) The first step of removal is to open the door for the side of the vehicle you’re working on. We recommend doing one side at a time, always having the other side for reference, a good tip for most automotive work.
2) Remove the plastic cover which covers the latch. Remove the T30 screw in the center (NOTE: The X3 Max will have three 8mm screws in in the rear doors) and pry gently from the strap side. Thread the strap through the cover and remove the cover and set it aside.
3) Next, we will want to clamp down on the rivet holding in the strap. The goal is to grab the rivet and stop it from moving, while leaving the center of the rivet exposed. This prevents the rivet from spinning when we drill it out.
4) Drill out the factory rivet. CAUTION: Be careful to drill out ONLY the rivet. Do not widen the hole in the latch any wider. Doing so may cause play in the handle and may cause the latch to not work as intended.
NOTE: You can also remove the latch from the door and gently grind the rivet off. It is important not to damage the factory latch arm!
5) Next we will attach the Latch arm bracket. The M6 bolt will be installed on top with the M5 bolt on the bottom. The M6 bolt will use the 4mm hex and the M5 bolt will use the 3mm hex
6) Reinstall the factory plastic cover. Thread the latch arm through the cover and snap it back into place. Secure the cover with the factory screw.
7) Attach the handle bracket to the latch arm. Use the 3mm hex key to secure the the remaining M5 screws.
8) Repeat steps 1-7 on the other door(s) until all latches are installed
9) Enjoy your newfound ease of entry!
For a PDF version of these instructions, click HERE